Warning Unresponsive Script + Limitation on 12 Columns in "Edit entry" (ie single screen)

Warning Unresponsive Script + Limitation on 12 Columns in "Edit entry" (ie single screen)

mxsquidmxsquid Posts: 16Questions: 3Answers: 0

This is my first post here, and I'm rather new to the DataTables environment, so please bear with me.

Environment: WampServer with Apache 2.4.4, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.6.12, DataTables 1.10.0, Editor 1.3.1

I get the following error message when using Server-Side Processing and MySql on 1300 35 column records using a modified formOnlyData.html. Further, I changed the supplied staff.php example to work with the new formOnlyData.

"A script on the page may be busy or it may have stopped responding" .

Script: ..../examples/resources/syntax/shCore.js:4

If I reduce my sample set to 500 records, I don't get the above message and I'm able to do CRUD operations using SSP. However, it appears I'm limited to editing 12 column values on the Edit entry screen. I want to be able to edit more than 12 columns, but the current layout doesn't allow enough "real estate" or screen scrolling to do this.

BTW, I don't get a script busy message if I use DataTables without Editor.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mike

Thanks for any help

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Server-side processing should return only the data needed for the current page in the table. It sounds like that isn't happening for some reason - possibly the ajax option isn't set to POST the data?

I want to be able to edit more than 12 columns, but the current layout doesn't allow enough "real estate" or screen scrolling to do this.

Can you link me to an example of that please? The form container in Editor should scroll when there isn't enough space on the page for the forms to be shown.

Allan

• mxsquidmxsquid Posts: 16Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hi Allan, I'll set up a link for you ASAP. Right now, I'm only using my local machine in WAMP. I'll set up the test environment on my website by the end of the day.

The Editor issues I have are threefold:

1. Slow loading of 1300 Server-Side-Processing records.

2. The unresponsive script error message appears even though all records are loaded

3. On Edit entry, I lose the ability to scroll beyond a single screen on a Compaq CQ5300F Win7 machine with 1024 x 768 display resolution and on a WinXP machine with 1024 x 768. I can't get to the "Update" button. See FIT Biz Data example below. I can only edit the 12 columns version for the older monitors. In the case of a Win7 1366 x 768 monitor, Edit entry works OK with multi screen scrolling.

http://finditgroup.org/fiic/DT1.10.0-Editor1.3.1/extensions/Editor-1.3.1/examples/advanced/index.html

1. So far, I have no problems displaying DataTables results. It loads quite rapidly and I've implemented column rendering for images. Search "Stallion Performance" for an example of a linkable image underlying a business name..

http://finditgroup.org/fiic/DT1.10.0-Editor1.3.1/examples/data_sources/fit_server_side.html

Answer ✓

Server-side processing is not enabled in your FindITFormOnlyData.html example. What happens if you enable it?

I lose the ability to scroll beyond a single screen on a Compaq CQ5300F Win7 machine with 1024 x 768 display resolution and on a WinXP machine with 1024 x 768. I can't get to the "Update" button

That sounds like an issue with the responsive CSS to me on small desktop monitors. I'm going to have to get back to you on that one, as that's a bug in the Editor CSS.

Allan

edited June 2014

The following 2 JSON code changes eliminated my script issue: ajax url, type: POST + serverSide: true. This wasn't in the origional formOnlyData.html example suppled by Editor 1.3.1. I copied the "simple" initialization example and applied it to "advanced" formOnlyData

$('#example').DataTable( {
    dom: "Tfrtip",
    ajax: {
    url: "../php/biz-php-validate.php",
    type: "POST"
    },
    serverSide: true,
    columns: [
    { data: "BusinessName" },
    { data: "Category1" },
    { data: "SubCategory1" },

],

The remaining open issue is the CSS changes needed to support multi-screen scrolling for Edits on 1024 x 768 screens.

Thanks for all your hard work Allan!

I've just published Editor 1.3.2 which should address the scrolling / edit issue on smaller screens. The latest version can always be downloaded from https://editor.datatables.net/download .

Regards,
    Allan

DataTables 1.10.1 w/ Editor 1.3.2 w/ Tooltips 2.2.2 did the job of allowing screen scrolling on older 1024 x 768 monitors. Thank you!

Great to hear - thanks for the feedback!

Allan

This discussion has been closed.