Bug in ssp.class.php

Bug in ssp.class.php

CraigJCraigJ Posts: 30Questions: 12Answers: 2

I believe there is a bug in the ssp.class.php add_bindings function. I'm looking at the version here: https://github.com/DataTables/DataTablesSrc/blob/master/examples/server_side/scripts/ssp.class.php

static function add_bindings(&$a, $vals)
{
    foreach($vals['bindings'] as $key => $value) {
        $bindings[] = array(
            'key' => $key,
            'val' => $value,
            'type' => PDO::PARAM_STR
        );
    }
}

Note that $a is passed by reference, but $a is not used in the function - a new array named $bindings is created.

All line numbers are the line numbers found on this page: https://github.com/DataTables/DataTablesSrc/blob/master/examples/server_side/scripts/ssp.class.php

Also note that on line 387, the variable $bindings is passes to sql_exec, but on line 375 the variable $whereAllBindings is passed to self::add_bindings, not $bindings, so even if the add_bindings function is working correctly, the returned value(s) aren't added the the $bindings array, and therefore aren't included in the call to self::sql_exec on line 387. I solved this issue by adding the following line immediately after the call to add_bindings on line 375:

$bindings = array_merge( $bindings, $whereAllBindings );

Becasue $whereAllBindings is needed to get the total record count and needs to contain only the whereAll bindings.

The relevant section of code:

// Likewise for whereAll
    if ( $whereAll ) {
        $str = $whereAll;

if ( is_array($whereAll) ) {
            $str = $whereAll['condition'];

if ( isset($whereAll['bindings']) ) {
                self::add_bindings($whereAllBindings, $whereAll['bindings']);
            }
        }

$where = $where ?
            $where .' AND '.$str :
            'WHERE '.$str;

$whereAllSql = 'WHERE '.$str;
    }

// Main query to actually get the data
    $data = self::sql_exec( $db, $bindings,
        "SELECT `".implode("`, `", self::pluck($columns, 'db'))."`
         FROM `$table`
         $where
         $order
         $limit"
    );

It kind of makes me wonder if a lot of developers aren't using bound parameters like they should and are thus opening themselves to SQL injection attacks, or I could be completely off base here due to lack of coffee...

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

There is certainly something wrong there - thank you for flagging this up. I'll commit changes tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

I would actually strongly advocate using the Editor PHP libraries for server-side processing, rather than ssp.class.php, which I consider to be a demo only. The Editor PHP libraries are open source and can be freely used while providing a lot more functionality than then ssp.class.php.

I'll maybe add some comments to the demo to this effect. That said, there is an error there and I'll look at it!

Allan