Locating sporadic issues with Editor

Locating sporadic issues with Editor

rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406

Sometimes I have errors using Editor that are impossbile to locate for me. One difficulty is that they only happen sporadically and not all the time.

This error message from the console for example contains no information on any of my code. This is all purely Data Tables / Editor internal. I got the message when hitting the "create" button on one of my Edtiors. But I don't always get it: If I do a page refresh everything works fine again!

What can I do to find the error? And is the data tables debugger tool also relevant for Editor? Do I need to do something on "garbage collection"? (I must admit I know nothing about this topic.)

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Do I need to do something on "garbage collection"? (I must admit I know nothing about this topic.)

No that is automatic in Javascript. When you no longer reference an instance or anything else that takes up memory, the runtime will release the memory it has for that, when its GC next runs.

The error suggests to me that an Editor instance might have been destroyed? The first thing I would do is such a case is to use the non min version of the file and then put a breakpoint on the line that the error is being thrown.

If you can give me access to a page showing the error, I can try to trace it back.

Is it possible you have global variables which are getting mixed?

Allan

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406
    edited May 2022

The first thing I would do is such a case is to use the non min version of the file and then put a breakpoint on the line that the error is being thrown.

You are right. Will do that first. I always do that with my own code anyway. And now it should be easy for me to do that with Editor too since I changed my approach regarding the download builder.

I had an issue with global variables but thought I had fixed it. Will check that too.

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406

Changed something in my logic - and the issue disappeared. Amazing. Can't replicate the issue any longer. :smile: