Is there a way to save the generator fields for each table?

Is there a way to save the generator fields for each table?

SkrockiSkrocki Posts: 21Questions: 9Answers: 0
edited May 2022 in Editor

I try to save the finished virgin generated package, so if I have trouble I can always revert back to the saved package. But it would be way cooler to save the generators themselves, in case I want to just add a few columns or change some parameters. Of course, I know this can all be done manually, but figured I'd ask if it was possible to save the generator states for each table. Some of mine take an hour to create with 60+ fields and it's a shame to lose all that data if something happens to the saved package.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestion. However, Generator is designed to be a quick start tool only, giving you base code from which you can build up. If you need to add another field for example, rather than adding it via Generator, you'd edit the source files.

If you are looking for something more UI based that the code editing of Editor, then our CloudTables software fills that gap.

Regards,
    Allan

• SkrockiSkrocki Posts: 21Questions: 9Answers: 0

Thanks Allen. As I'd mentioned, I know everything is possible with manual editing. My problem is I'm learning as I go, and sometimes I might delete the wrong line or the wrong character and the whole table goes blank. In cases like these, I revert back to the virgin package your generator made and in PhpStorm I can compare the files and get back to where I wanted to be, generally pretty quick. However, sometimes I've gone too far and messed up, and didn't save or have already tweaked the generated version.

For users like me, that would be a nice time too regenerate a new package without having to go in and create everything from scratch. I just had to do that last night for a table with 60+ columns. I'll check out that cloud option that you mentioned though, and just have to do a better job of preserving the generated packages when I download them.

Thanks again for your help!

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin

Many thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I can see the benefit of what you suggest, and although it isn't something I'm planning to add at the moment, I will keep it under review.

Regards,
    Allan