Editor, inline editing, and AutoFill

Editor, inline editing, and AutoFill

msand01msand01 Posts: 54Questions: 24Answers: 1

Are there any caveats for using Editor with both simple inline editing and AutoFill? We have users who would like both inline editing and Autofill capabilities and I wanted to make sure there were no gotchas to prevent those from working well together.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I'm not aware of any, but that's not to say there aren't. The only thing I can think of would be if the click on the drag handler were to propagate to the host cell, but I don't think it does.

If you run into any issues, let me know and I'll get them resolved.

Allan

• msand01msand01 Posts: 54Questions: 24Answers: 1

great - thank you

• keith.abramokeith.abramo Posts: 37Questions: 6Answers: 0

I'm actually trying to do this now and I'm running into issues. It kind of works but is very glitchy.

Here is what I've seen:

When using inline, keytable and autofill, when you hover over a cell the blue drag icon does not show up. You have to click on the cell. When you click on the cell it puts that cell into edit mode. However when in that mode when you try to use autofill it drags and shows the blue dotted box but nothing happens. You have to first press Esc to get it out of edit mode but stay in focus. This will keep the blue drag icon on there and then when you use it in this state the drag and drop seems to fire the necessary events to update the other cells and submit to the server.

Do you know if this is intentional or if this is a bug? Seems like the autofill should work even if the cell is in edit mode.

This example shows inline Editing, KeyTable and AutoFill all being used together.

Is the configuration you are using different from the one shown there?

Allan

Hey Allan,

Thanks for the quick reply, using the example in your link, if you edit a cell and before clicking enter or navigating away, you try to drag the autofill you will see it does not update the current cell correctly or the subsequent cells. Also it seems to freeze the entire functionality of clicking on any cells until you press the Esc key.

Yes you are right. That looks like an error in the integration between them. AutoFill needs to wait for Editor's Ajax request to update the data. Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll get it addressed for the next release of AutoFill.

Allan

Thanks Allan,

Is this something we will have to wait until the next minor release of 1.6 to get? I'm using my code in prod so the nightly builds would not be an option for me.

Thanks!

It is something that the next release of AutoFill will address rather than Editor actually (unless, when I'm fixing it I find that it needs changes else where too - but I expect it to only be AutoFill).

Regards,
    Allan

A quick follow up on this - I've just committed a new feature to AutoFill that will support Editor's inline editing being active in a cell when the fill is activated. This will be included in AutoFill 2.3.0.

Allan

• msand01msand01 Posts: 54Questions: 24Answers: 1

That's great, what is the specific option to use - is it an Editor or Autofill option? I'm not able to find the specific one.

It should just work automatically, although you might need to use the nightly of AutoFill at the moment. I inadverntantly broke it in the last release.

Allan

• jdb110jdb110 Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

when i use editor-inline-editing-and-autofill and use fields.type="select".autofill other columns ,the "select" columns also submit. what can i how to do?

Just to confirm - do you want to provide AutoFill on all columns other than the select one? If so, then use autoFill.columns to limit the columns AutoFill will apply to.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.