fnReloadAjax in separate js file

fnReloadAjax in separate js file

tacman1123tacman1123 Posts: 168Questions: 39Answers: 1
edited February 2011 in Plug-ins
First, thanks for a great tool, just amazing.

I'm setting up parent / child tables, e.g. click on a row in the invoice table and the item table automatically updates with items for that invoice. I've followed along with the examples and having it working with the fnReloadAjax plug-in, but since this situation shows up a lot, I want to put the plug-in into a separate js file and not keep pasting it before every .datatable() call.

So I created datatables.fnReloadAjax.js

[code]
$(document).ready(function() {
$.fn.dataTableExt.oApi.fnReloadAjax = function ( oSettings, sNewSource, fnCallback, bStandingRedraw )
{
if ( typeof sNewSource != 'undefined' && sNewSource != null )
[REST OF PLUGIN CODE]
}
});
[/code]

and I load that js file right after jquery.datatables.js

[code]

[/code]

But this doesn't work. Cutting and pasting the plugin code, as is done in the examples, works.

So I'm guessing this has something to do with the plugin of a plugin. Any suggestions?

I understand that I can also use the redraw function, but obviously that doesn't change the Ajax url, which is what I need, since I need to pass the relevant foreign key id (e.g. invoice number). Is there an example of using redraw to change the ajax url?

I'm wondering why isn't this just included in the datatables core code? It seems like something that would be needed frequently.

Finally, is there another way to do with with the bDestroy param?

Would love to find the fastest way to do this, the related table changes really give it a powerful, dynamic feel.

Thanks, and again, datatables rocks, thanks for sharing it!

Tac

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,434Questions: 1Answers: 10,049 Site admin
    The basic idea of what you've got is correct, for the included files. I don't see a problem with what you have done. Perhaps you can give us a link to the page so we can see what might be happening. Your server error log might provide some clues?

> Is there an example of using redraw to change the ajax url?

No - however you can simply do:

[code]
    oTable.fnReloadAjax('new_source.php');
    [/code]
    which will reload from the new source.

> I'm wondering why isn't this just included in the datatables core code? It seems like something that would be needed frequently.

The same could be said for all of the plug-ins :-). Typically DataTables is used with DOM sourced client-side processing, Ajax sourced data less so (probably less than server-side processing as well, but I've not no numbers, so that's just a guess from the support requests!). It would be great to bundle up all the plug-ins, but the core size needs to be kept to a sensible size.

> Finally, is there another way to do with with the bDestroy param?

Yes you could destroy the table and initialise it with a new sAjaxSource address - that would work as well. Although fnReloadAjax should be faster, since the whole table doesn't need re-initalised.

> Thanks, and again, datatables rocks, thanks for sharing it!

Allan
  • tacman1123tacman1123 Posts: 168Questions: 39Answers: 1
    Ok, got the extension working in an external file, but now I'm getting 2 calls each time I click on the row of the primary table. For example:

The first one looks like what I pass into reload (with a _= variable, I'm guessing that's the session), then immediately after it finishes another one with the datatables params:

_ 1298919589535
    bRegex false
    bRegex_0 false
    bRegex_1 false
    bRegex_2 false
    bRegex_3 false
    bRegex_4 false
    bRegex_5 false
    bSearchable_0 true
    bSearchable_1 true
    bSearchable_2 true
    bSearchable_3 true
    bSearchable_4 true
    bSearchable_5 true
    bSortable_0 true
    bSortable_1 true
    bSortable_2 true
    bSortable_3 true
    bSortable_4 true
    bSortable_5 true
    class xora_location_class
    iColumns 6
    iDisplayLength 10
    iDisplayStart 0
    iSortCol_0 0
    iSortingCols 1
    s-user_id 1062493
    sColumns
    sEcho 1
    sEcho 4
    sSearch
    sSearch_0
    sSearch_1
    sSearch_2
    sSearch_3
    sSearch_4
    sSearch_5
    sSortDir_0 asc

What do I need to do to avoid having the 2 calls?

Thx,

Tac
This discussion has been closed.