RowGrouping plugin; replacement?

RowGrouping plugin; replacement?

YKdvdYKdvd Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

I'm going to try plugging DataTables 1.10 into a development branch of our code, and see what happens. One thing I assume will break is the third-party Row Grouping plugin (https://code.google.com/p/jquery-datatables-row-grouping/issues/detail?id=75).

It looks like it hasn't been worked in almost a year, and I've got one or two issues with it anyone, so I'm thinking of trying to write my own replacement. I was wondering - do a lot of people need this sort of grouping functionality, is there any other quality replacement out there, or do people generally roll their own?

Replies

• MikeSMikeS Posts: 113Questions: 1Answers: 0

I for one require row grouping capability in dataTables and the original plugin needs to be updated to work with dataTables 1.10. and is holding me back from moving to 1.10.

I don't have enough skills to volunteer in helping you write a new plugin, however, I'd be glad to assist in testing anything that you may wish to share.

• allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin

Ultimately there needs to be a plug-in for DataTables that is part of the core project offering this functionality. It is on my to do list, I just don't have the bandwidth to do it at the moment with the other work that is also required.

What is the error from the existing row grouping plug-in - there shouldn't be too much that has changed that would stop it from working, so it might be an easy fix... (might!)

Allan

• althausalthaus Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

+1 for a grouping feature in the core. I'm currently evaluating DataTables to replace server side sorting/filtering and is one of the central features we'd need.

Perhaps you could detail your requirements so it can help shape the software that I, or anyone else, might write.

Allan

• YKdvdYKdvd Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hmm, I thought when I gave a DT 10 beta the 30-second once over awhile back, Row Grouping pages died. And there is the bug report indicating it doesn't work: https://code.google.com/p/jquery-datatables-row-grouping/issues/detail?id=75 I haven't had a chance to look at DT 10 again until now.

But after plugging the 10.0 release into a current branch of my code, a RowGrouping page seems to work. Not sure if there was a 10.0 beta bug, or I have a page somewhere that uses a different Row Grouping feature that I'll find failing eventually. Is anyone seeing actual failures with RowGrouping?

• rodrangrarodrangra Posts: 18Questions: 3Answers: 0
    edited May 2014

I replaced all the RowGrouping code for this example:

http://www.datatables.net/examples/advanced_init/row_grouping.html

That is working well for me, but with some features off.
    Good Luck!

• MikeSMikeS Posts: 113Questions: 1Answers: 0

I think that some of you are mixing up the rowgrouping plugin and the "Advanced Initialization Example" that does some row groupings. The actual plugin can be found here, http://jquery-datatables-row-grouping.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/index.html

• YKdvdYKdvd Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

I deal with items for animated show production. So I have a table of "shots" (the rows) for an episode, and I used the 3rd-party Row Grouping plugin to group them by "scene". If I have a bunch of shots from multiple episodes, I use the second-level grouping for episode. I also use FixedHeader on the column headers.

Drawing performance is fairly bad when I get up to a couple of hundred shots. I've always suspected the Row Grouping plugin may somehow be inefficient, or feeding back in to DataTables in a way that cause DT to redraw or recalculate stuff more than once. I'm hoping for some redrawing speedups in DT10, but beyond that I was thinking of digging in to see what DT's API allows, and perhaps doing a custom RG thingie for myself. The plugin is in any case somewhat cranky, doesn't have a clean way of injecting stuff beyond a "prefix" into the grouping row (HTML buttons, text customized per group), etc.

• kokeshkokesh Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

I think the rowGrouping functionality is necessary. It should be built-in, or at least part of the DT distribution as a plugin. While the current independent plugin makes it possible to do basic rowGrouping, it doesn't do basic stuff as counting items in each groups, etc.

Compatibility with 1.10.x is not there, that is also a huge disadvantage.

Its not something that should be built into DataTables core, but I would like to offer it as an extension. I do plan to create such an extension in future, but development is currently focusing in other areas.

Allan

• kokeshkokesh Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thank you Allan, that will help a lot of people.

• danielfariatidanielfariati Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

This would be AWESOME!

• tdmohrtdmohr Posts: 16Questions: 2Answers: 0

+1 for a compatible row grouping plugin.

I'm currently trying to hack the example shown in the advanced initialization to do what I need, but it's not going well.

I know its probably impossible to say, but Is there any idea when this might come up on the radar to be developed?

Thanks again for such an amazing plugin!

Thee is quite a backlog of features and extensions to be implemented at the moment I'm afraid. I don't expect to be able to get to this one before March 2015.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.