Col reorder on click

Col reorder on click

sdinesh21sdinesh21 Posts: 37Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2013 in Plug-ins
I want to reorder columns on click of buttons. The order may change as predefined for each button. Can I know how can this be done?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,697Questions: 1Answers: 10,102 Site admin
    The unreleased version of ColReorder has an API to be able to programmatically change the order: https://github.com/DataTables/ColReorder/blob/master/media/js/ColReorder.js#L490

Allan
  • sdinesh21sdinesh21 Posts: 37Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks, Allan! It was helpful... On the same requirement, I am looking to replace aoColumns in the datatable with a new set of aoColumns on click of a button. The JSON from server will contain data for both set of aoColumns. I understood from forums that dynamically changing the aoColumns is not possible now. Is there an alternative for this now? Please suggest.
    As you say that's not possible. The only option is to destroy your table and then create a new one.

Allan
    Thanks again! I tried destroying the table and recreating a new one. The column data is loaded properly, however the column header does not appear in the new one. Following is the code I use to destroy and recreate. Please let me know what could be the issue.

[code]
    function reCreateTableNew( aoColumnView ) {
    oTable.fnDestroy();
    $("#"+tblName).empty();
    var aoColumns = new Array();
    for ( var i in aoColumnView ) {
    aoColumns.push( aoColumnView[i] );
    }
    loadAssetData( tblName, aoData, aoColumns);
    }

function loadAssetData( tblName, servArgv, aoColumnDef) {
    var oTable = $("#" + tblName).dataTable( {
    "sScrollY": "300px",
    "sScrollX": "200px",
    "sAjaxSource": "../sevlet",
    "bServerSide": true,
    "bDestroy": true,
    "bProcessing": true,
    "bScrollCollapse": true,
    "fnServerParams": function ( aoData ) {
    for ( var i in servArgv ) {
    aoData.push( servArgv[i] );
    }
    },
    sDom: RfrtS',
    "bFilter": true,
    "aoColumns": aoColumnDef ,
    "aaSorting": [[0,'asc']]
    } );
    }
    [/code]
    Aside from the syntax error in sDom, it looks okay to me. We'd need a link to an example showing the problem I think.

Allan
    Allan,
    I noticed the following snippet in one of your replies to the posts. Can you please clarify if this means aoColumns can dynamically change when I modify "cols" on a button click?

[code]
    var my_cols = [ 'fname', 'lname', 'age', 'dob', 'grade' ];
    var cols = [];

for ( var i=0, iLen=my_cols.length ; i
    > Can you please clarify if this means aoColumns can dynamically change when I modify "cols" on a button click?

No - you can't change the initialisation options of a table after it has been initialised. You need to destroy the old table and create a new one if you want to do that.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.