Update extravaganza

Update extravaganza

allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin

Hi all,

I'm delighted to announce a major update to the DataTables site, and almost all of the extensions for DataTables.

I've posted a summary of the changes in the blog, and I'm post more in the blog delving into some of the details of the new features and plug-ins in the coming days.

As a super quick summary:

• Download builder
  • Full support for Bootstrap, Foundation and jQuery UI across all extensions
  • Editor 1.5 - Multi-row editing
  • New extensions:
    • Buttons - replaces TableTools' buttons and ColVis - HTML5 export!
    • Select - replaces TableTools' row selection options - much nicer API
    • RowReorder - new extension that does what the name suggests
  • Rewrites:
    • AutoFill - Fill rows and columns with like data with Editor integration
    • KeyTable - Spreadsheet like keyboard navigation for the table
    • FixedHeader - new drawing method

All extensions now require IE8+ or one of the evergreen browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari and Opera) and many require DataTables 1.10.8 which is also now available. A compatibility table shows the requirements and compatibility of extensions in detail.

Inevitably with such a complex release there will be issues. Please bare with me while I sort them out. If you do find any bugs, please open a new thread with details so we can track individual cases.

And with all that said, the most important thing is to enjoy the new software :-)

Regards,
Allan

Replies

• duselguyduselguy Posts: 24Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hello Allan,
    tried the download builder with default values + "Local files". The contents of the DataTables.zip file looks totally wrong. Sorry.
    LP

• gyrocodegyrocode Posts: 126Questions: 6Answers: 30

Very glad to see the update, but it's disappointing that TableTools documentation (examples, initialization) is now gone ( except this page ) and can only be accessed by googling or if you have bookmarked the URLs. Not all the people will update immediately to 1.10.8, it would be beneficial to leave TableTools in the list of extensions, it has a warning anyway that the functionality has been replaced by Buttons and Select extensions.

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,342Questions: 35Answers: 394

The "Extensions" page has a section for "Retired" extensions, with a link to the complete TableTools documentation.

http://datatables.net/extensions/tabletools/

edited August 2015

That's exactly what I said, that only http://datatables.net/extensions/tabletools/ is visible but other TableTools-related pages are not. All of the documentation pages links are gone in the sidebar.

• allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin

For the side bar, yes. But if you scroll down the page a little, you will see them linked as tangerine notes. The only change in their documentation is that they are part of the main side bar. I didn't want them in there as I think it would lead to confusion for new users, but they absolutely are still available and linked to from the extensions page.

I should also note that although retried they are not unsupported, which is why I didn't to much of a pre-announce for them. If there are bugs found in ColVis or TableTools then they will see updates for a period of time (I'm not certain how long that will be - it depends how much work it takes!). They will not, however, see any new features added to them and some bugs are just unfixable (TableTools will not see a non-Flash export for example).

@duselguy - How so? Could you post a new thread with details of the issue so I can investigate fully please.

Allan

• duselguyduselguy Posts: 24Questions: 3Answers: 0
  • jrizzi1jrizzi1 Posts: 44Questions: 12Answers: 3

on my working site I replaced my individual listed CDN elements for a bootstrap integration with the new css/script links generated by the download builder, but it does not seem to be working. It seems that it does not include the necessary bootstrap integration files, as the console errors are all bootstrap related

I also notice it is including jszip and pdfmake even though they are marked as do not include

example of the CDN links generated by selecting jquery, bootstrap, include library, and datatables

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://cdn.datatables.net/r/bs-3.3.5/jq-2.1.4,jszip-2.5.0,pdfmake-0.1.18,dt-1.10.8/datatables.min.css"/>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://cdn.datatables.net/r/bs-3.3.5/jq-2.1.4,jszip-2.5.0,pdfmake-0.1.18,dt-1.10.8/datatables.min.js"></script>

@jrizzi1 - As I requested in my post, could you post individual issues in new threads so we can track them individually please. Please also link to a test page showing the issue.

I also notice it is including jszip and pdfmake even though they are marked as do not include

They've problem been marked to be included, and then Buttons marked to be not included afterwards. The download builder will include libraries, even if their parent is marked not to be included.

Allan

• jrizzi1jrizzi1 Posts: 44Questions: 12Answers: 3

@allan oops sorry made its own thread

• ScoobysnackScoobysnack Posts: 14Questions: 3Answers: 1
    edited August 2015

Hi @allan,

the CDN link (https://cdn.datatables.net/buttons/1.0.0/css/dataTables.buttons.min.css) for the buttons CSS on this page https://cdn.datatables.net/ is giving a 404.

Thanks! It should be https://cdn.datatables.net/buttons/1.0.0/css/buttons.dataTables.min.css . I'm going to redeploy the site with a bunch of updates, including that one tomorrow morning. If you toggle the styles using the buttons at the top it will show the correct link at the moment.

Thanks @allan!

• rpmccormickrpmccormick Posts: 107Questions: 13Answers: 0

Congrats on the update! I am not sure I am ready to ditch TableTools on the current project, but I will be excited to learn the new stuff for my next project in November. (please work out all the kinks before then, jk, lol)

@gyrocode - TableTools and ColVis are back in the main navigation now - with markers to indicate that they have been retired :-)

• anthonysanthonys Posts: 19Questions: 4Answers: 0
    edited August 2015

[comment deleted - found the answer to my query]

@allan, thank you, I noticed it yesterday. There are still many questions on StackOverflow and forum about older releases, even 1.9, so it is much appreciated.

Hi @allan, will you be adding a new category for Buttons to the forum? Cheers!

Done now. I always forget about that, as I don't really use them. Just the most recent list :-)

Cheers! And I can imagine most recent keeping you busy! ;) PS Updates are great - especially the html5 fallback. Halfway through changeover from TableTools to Buttons...

This discussion has been closed.