Which visual / formatting editors work with datatables editor?

Which visual / formatting editors work with datatables editor?

rmeetinrmeetin Posts: 97Questions: 23Answers: 1

We mostly use either ckeditorClassic or textarea for text needs. CKEditor is good for general editing/formatting but if you need to add custom divs with custom classes it is challenging because it strips out anything that is not known to it, maybe not defined as a custom plugin.

Aside from CKE can you recommend any other visual editors that have already been set up to work with DTE and don't strip out custom divs and classes and inline styles?

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,144Questions: 26Answers: 4,736
    edited April 2023

The Field Type Plugins page has other editor plugins. I've mostly used Quill with good luck. I've been able to use things like p and b tags. Never tried div or classes. There is also TinyMCE.

Kevin

• rmeetinrmeetin Posts: 97Questions: 23Answers: 1

Anything on Froala?

You could create your own plugin
    https://editor.datatables.net/manual/development/field-types

I found a few threads by searching ’froala’. Looks like one of the threads has a plugin created by the poster. Maybe it will work for you.

Kevin

• rmeetinrmeetin Posts: 97Questions: 23Answers: 1

Door #1 - CKEditor does not allow custom styles without minimally defining every possible style/class - not a realistic solution.

Door #2 - It doesn't look like Froala will work for us; the plugin references are pretty limited and other.

Door #3 - TinyMCE - we got the recommended open-source version installed and integrated but it is missing some vital functions in the toolbar. Here is the link to their official demo:

https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/tinymce/6/full-featured-open-source-demo/

And a view of the demo formatting toolbar.

The Tools select menu is missing in the DTE plugin version. This is important because we need the Source code toggle option. The additional features under the ... menu would also be useful. Here is what we have:

Can the plugin be tweaked to get these features operational?

I'm not familiar with TinyMCE but I believe you will need to use the field-options as described in the plugin docs to add the options to display the tool bars you want. Go to the JS tab of the TinyMCE link you provided to see the options used in that demo. Copy the relevant options into field-options.

Kevin