Bugs and suggestions for language translation tool

Bugs and suggestions for language translation tool

ffeffe Posts: 28Questions: 4Answers: 0

Link to test case:
https://datatables.net/plug-ins/i18n/ --> English --> Contribute

Description of problem:
I have noticed some bugs and I also have some suggestions for the language translation tool:
1. Is the English translation also the default value that is displayed on the right? In case they are, then quite a few keys have a different default value compared to the editable English translation text. In case they are not, it is non the less confusing... Example keys: infoFiltered, sortAscending, sortDescending, ...
2. The default value on the right is sometimes showing the evaluated html instead of the escaped text. Example keys: copyKeys, error.system
3. Clarification: In case key "2" in select is empty, it will not show an empty value but default to key "_". This would help people to only fill it in case their language needs a different string.
4. Clarification: Keys "amPm.0" and "amPm.1" are not used if 24h are standard for that language (?)

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

  • sandysandy Posts: 708Questions: 0Answers: 194
    Answer ✓

    Hi @ffe ,

    Thanks for pointing these out.

    1 & 2 - I've raised an issue internally and will go through and make sure that the english values and the default values are correct. I'll also make sure that the text displayed is just text and not rendered html.

    3 - I can see how this could cause confusion, even though it is documented elsewhere. I will add to the description here to make this point clearer.

    4 - You're right, am and pm are not used if using 24 hour times - they are irrelevant if that is the case. Again, I will note this in the description.

    For my reference the ticket number for 1 & 2 is DD-1986. I'll update here again once I have made the changes.

    Thanks,
    Sandy

  • sandysandy Posts: 708Questions: 0Answers: 194

    Hi @ffe ,

    The defaults and the english values should now be consistent with each other. I've also added the notes as described above.

    For the html within some of the options not rendering, a fix for this has been implemented but will not be visible until the next site release.

    Thanks again,
    Sandy

  • ffeffe Posts: 28Questions: 4Answers: 0

    Hi @sandy,

    thank you for reporting back!

  • ffeffe Posts: 28Questions: 4Answers: 0

    Hi @sandy

    there are still some (new) errors, I think some regression bugs have been introduced:

    1. The default value on the right is sometimes escaping < to &lt;. Example key: fill, collection, error.system
    2. The line breaks <br> are still not shown on the right. Example key: copyKeys
    3. In the translation text, <i> tags are missing. Not sure if this is an error or a diverting translation string. Example key: copyKeys
  • sandysandy Posts: 708Questions: 0Answers: 194
    Answer ✓

    Hi @ffe ,

    Thanks again for pointing these out - I've made the following changes

    The code was only replacing the first instance of <, > and & in the default strings where it should be replacing all of them, I've fixed this now. Hopefully this will fix all of the above issues that you are seeing. This will be updated on the next site rebuild - not sure when this will be but should be soon enough :)

    Thanks again,
    Sandy

Sign In or Register to comment.